Thursday 8 September 2016

To My Parents

To My Parents
In my first hour, when I was little
You held me in your hands
Your eyes filled with pride
Your heart with extra warmth
Your loved ones surround you
And the cute little baby you had
‘My child shall grow up, be pretty and successful’
And every block of it
Built something beautiful
Something to look forward to
As I grew up, my every move
Made you excited,
And you  waited for more
My little successful ventures
Built confidence in you
But as time passed by
You found
There were even more failures
Your child is not how you wanted her to be
Not an all rounder, not a class topper
Not any prodigy you read in the papers
But someone, worse than ordinary
Someone, who wouldn’t do even a simple thing right
You may find her lazy, selfish and clumsy
She does not even know the basics
Others know at her age
Other parents have better children, you think
And yours, an ugly little thing
Whom your loved ones have started to detest
And slowly you, yourself felt,
And wished and prayed,
If you had someone better
To call as your child
She grows up and wails, and throws tantrums,
Loses her temper and shouts absurdities
People feel sorry for you, and you for yourself
But hides all this, and wears a smile
A bright satin sheet that covers the mess
Beneath it, here your erupting woes
And when I am sad, you wrap your arms
Around me and tell me
It will be alright, when it won’t
You give me the confidence to pursue my dreams
Even when I have no ability for it.
You tell me you love me
But what you do not know is
How much I love you.
My thoughts revolve around you, and every move
I make depends on you
I tried to fit in the mould
The society and you made for me
I tried to build the castle you dreamt of
But forces pull me, drag me down
From being your ideal child
Desires and distractions make me sway
But nothing forgetting you, had been done
But alas, I failed in my attempt
I do not know how parents feel
As I was never one myself
But you, my two pillars of life, must know
That little monster you see externally,
Is a little child, who loves you deeply
Arathi Menon

No comments: